All students in Germany must have health insurance. You need a valid insurance

  • … for enrollment (matriculation) at the University of Applied Sciences Augsburg
  • … when applying for a residence permit

Generally, you need health insurance for these points.  Please contact one of the statutory health insurance companies. You are free to choose the insurance company. We recommend taking out a local health insurance (e.g. in Augsburg) in order to receive the best service possible on site.

In most cases you can take out student health insurance there. The insurance company will issue an “insurance certificate for enrollment at a university”, which you will present to the University of Applied Sciences Augsburg and the Foreign registration office.

There is an exception for EU citizens, citizens of countries, that are part of the European Economic Area (EEA), and Switzerland. These people need either the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or proof of insurance coverage in their home country.

If you already have another health insurance (a private one or one from your home country), it has to be checked by a German statutory health insurance. If your health insurance is accepted for studying in Germany, the German insurance company will issue you a certificate confirming, that you are exempt from compulsory German health insurance. You have to show this confirmation sheet to the University of Applied Sciences Augsburg when enrolling and to the Foreign registration office when applying for the residence permit.

Caution: Travel health insurance is not sufficient for enrollment and receiving a residence permit.

If you have any questions, please contact the “b! St” advice at Studentenwerk:

You can find more information about health insurance coverage during your studies at: